Sweets, Baking and Bindging

I have been on a cooking/baking bindge lately. Not sure if it's stress, bordem or just frustration that I can't have the real thing and I feel like I have to make it myself. Being one for scratch cooking I feel like I'm cheating using box mixes, but there are so many fours and flour mixtures out there I have no idea what to use and what works for what and where to start. So for now maybe I'll still to the boxes.

Here is my review of the things I've tried the past few days...

Better Crocker Yellow Cake mix: I used applesauce instead of oil and it came out really good. I also used almond extract instead of vanilla. Oh and I tried to make my own frosting with butter, milk and powdered sugar, it came out very sweet, so I thought maybe I could try adding some rice flour as a thickener to lessen the amount of sugar, ummmm bad Idea it ended up kind of gritty and gross. I still need to experiment and find a good butter cream frosting recipe.

Amy's Gluten Free Mac and Cheese: Was very yummy!! much like the Kraft kind, make sure not to over cook the pasta.

Sage Stuffing: I don't remember the brand and tossed the bag, but I got it at Whole Foods. I added sausage, sauteed onion, carrots and celery, thyme, rosemary and some other spices and chicken stock. It turned out pretty good, I think I will use it again for Thanksgiving.

Comments